Frequently Asked Questions - Lending Library
The OrigamiUSA Lending Library is a service for OrigamiUSA members that loans books of origami diagrams through U.S. Mail. Members in the USA can borrow from the Lending Library without leaving their home.
The collection consists primarily of out-of-print, English language books of origami diagrams. The collection also includes a number of books in other languages, including Japanese, Spanish, and Italian. It also includes a complete run of the newsletter publlished by the Friends of the Origami Center of America newsletter and the magazine it became: The Paper, published by OrigamiUSA, as well as a complete run of FOCA and OrigamiUSA annual convention programs (titled Annual Collection and The Origami Collection, depending on the year).
The link to View the Collection on the main Lending Library page provides detailed information on available items.
The OrigamiUSA Lending Library site lists specific publications available for loan. However, it does not index the contents of those items or provide a reference service to identify models/diagrams. Instead, where possible, the collection list links to Dennis Walker's Origami Database, or to scanned images of a book's table of contents and cover. You can use the Origami Database to search for information on diagrams by name, designer, or publication. Links to the Origami Database are used with permission. OrigamiUSA is not responsible for the accuracy of information in the Origami Database.
The Lending Library Service is available to OrigamiUSA members. The service is limited to members in North America. OrigamiUSA Membership must be current a minimum of 60 days past the due date of borrowed items. For information about membership in OrigamiUSA, click here.
The Lending Library ships books via US Mail, and includes return postage as part of the delivery charge. Mailing outside of the USA is prohibitively expensive and involves customs inspection in both directions.
The loan period for Lending Library books is four weeks. There are no renewals.
Your OrigamiUSA membership benefits include use of the Lending Library. No additional registration is necessary if you wish to work entirely by mail (see below). If you wish to request books by email, though, using our online submission system, you will need to register for an OrigamiUSA web account and use that to log into the website. See here for information about web accounts.
The Lending Library uses a fixed fee structure to cover shipping and incidental expenses:
- 1 item: $ 8.50
- 2 items: $ 12.00
- 3 items: $ 15.00
These charges cover costs of postage, packing materials, return postage, and delivery tracking and confirmation.
- The Lending Library listing displays items in the collection.
- Use the request form (see link at the top of the listing) to request up to three books.
- Submitting the request form automatically e-mails your request to the Lending Library and sends you an email confirmation of your request.
- The Lending Library will reply to your request with a PayPal money request for the applicable charge (See "How much does it cost to borrow," above).
- Requests and payment by U.S. Mail are also possible, see "How can I borrow..." below.
- When your payment is received the books are mailed to you.
- Normally, shipment is via US Postal Service Media Mail. (Estimated shipping time = 7 days)
- Priority Mail is available on request for an additional $5.00 service charge. As a general rule, packages ship on Friday only.
- The mailed package includes a due date, pre-addressed return address envelope, and prepaid return postage.
PayPal is a secure, online payment service that processes web-based financial transactions.It is not necessary to be pre-registered with PayPal. Click here for more information.
You can borrow from the collection using US mail. A list of available items and complete directions, including shipping charges, will be mailed to you on request. Please enclose $2.00 with your request, to cover postage. (U.S. Postage stamps accepted.)
OrigamiUSA Lending Library
P.O. Box 82400
Phoenix, Arizona 85071-2400