You are here
Origami by Children
A Traveling Exhibit for Schools, Libraries, and Museums
For more than three decades, OrigamiUSA has sponsored Origami by Children, an annual exhibition of outstanding origami by children from around the world.
Children whose origami is selected for the exhibition will receive a Certificate of Merit, a one-year membership to OrigamiUSA and a small gift. Experience is not necessary and every interested child is welcome to participate. Most models are made from directions in origami books available in libraries, bookstores, and online. However, original creations are especially encouraged.
Every year children are invited to submit their best folded models; either their own creations or the designs of others. The finest of these are selected to become the Origami By Children exhibit for that year. The exhibit travels to the communities of the various participants where it is displayed in local schools and libraries.
Started in 1978, Origami By Children provides an inspiration for children of all ages to explore their own creative potential as well as to enjoy the creativity of other children from around the world.
- OrigamiUSA National Convention, NYC — June 17 - 19, 2016
- Rogers Free Library, Bristol, RI — September 1 - 30, 2016
- Racine Public Library, Racine, WI — November 1 - 30, 2016
- Auburn Public Library, Auburn, ME — January - March, 2017
- Miller Library, Ellicott City, MD — May 1 - June 30, 2017
- OrigamiUSA National Convention, NYC — June 19 - 21, 2015
- Middleton Public Library, Middleton, WI — December 1, 2015 - January 2, 2016
- Westfield Memorial Library, Westfield, NJ — September 26 - November 1, 2016
- OrigamiUSA National Convention, NYC — June 27 - 29, 2014
- Kingston Public Library, Kingston, NY — July 1 - 25, 2015
- Westfield Memorial Library, Westfield, NJ — September 28 - November 9, 2015
- Miller Library, Ellicott City, MD — May 1 - June 30, 2016
- Philip Dressler Center for the Arts, Somerset, PA — January 15 - February 28, 2014
- AK Smiley Public Library, Redlands, CA — May 16 - June 30, 2014
- Westfield Memorial Library, Westfield, NJ — August 1 - September 12, 2014
- Foothills Arts Council, Elkin, NC — October 17 - November 25, 2014
- FALK Laboratory School (University of Pittsburgh), Pittsburgh, PA — December 8, 2014 - February 3, 2015
- Waverly Elementary School, Elliott City, MD — May 1 - June 1, 2015
Submissions to OBC
To submit an entry, you must be 18 or younger as of the submission deadline, March 31, in the year you are making your submission. Models must be classic origami, without drawing, embellishments, glue, tape, or cutting. For further submission requirements and instructions, please download the submission form:
Galleries of OBC Selections
See the selections from Origami by Children for this and past years here! Collections available for exhibition are marked (*).
- 2016 Origami by Children (*)
- 2015 Origami by Children (*)
- 2014 Origami by Children
- 2013 Origami by Children
- 2012 Origami by Children
- 2011 Origami by Children
- 2010 Origami by Children
- 2009 Origami by Children
- 2008 Origami by Children
- 2007 Origami by Children
- 2006 Origami by Children
Displaying the OBC Collection
If you are interested in displaying the Origami By Children winner's collection, please fill out this web form and submit it.
For Further Information
If you have any further questions about the Origami By Children exhibition, please don't hesitate to contact the OBC Committee at obc [at] origamiusa.org.