In 2017, the OrigamiUSA Board of Directors approved a fund to pilot a scholarship program for young origami enthusiasts to attend the Pacific Coast Origami Convention (PCOC) 2017 in Redondo Beach, CA. After a very successful experience, we continued the scholarship program, funding two more young people to attend the Annual Convention 2018 at St. John’s University. Subsequently, with funds raised from generous members, scholarships were given in 2019 for both Annual Convention and PCOC, and the program is fully funded through 2021.
Our scholarship winners have inspired everyone they have met. In 2021 we will fund four scholarships for young folders:
- Two scholarships for attending both the 2021 Annual Convention (which is online-only) and the 2022 Annual Convention, which will be held in New York City in June, 2022.
Two scholarships for the 2021 Pacific Coast OrigamiUSA Conference in San Francisco.
Please consider nominating someone you know, including yourself!
A nominee should be a young person who shows great promise as a folder and who would benefit from developing their skills and ideas by attending an origami convention. The nominee does not have to be a creator/designer. We value involvement in the origami community. Our main focus is their passion and potential.
Nominations for 2021 open on February 22, 2021. The deadline for nominations to be received is March 31, 2021 (6 pm Eastern).
- The nominee must be 18 years old or younger on December 31, 2021.
- The nominee can reside anywhere in the world. If a chosen nominee resides outside the United States, the recipient/family is responsible for passports and any required visas.
- The online nomination form must be completed and submitted by March 31, 2021 (6 pm Eastern).
- The nomination must be approved by an adult Parent/Guardian by sending an email to scholarships [at] origamiusa.org by March 31, 2021 (6 pm Eastern).
The scholarship benefits for each chosen nominee and a parent/guardian include:
- Convention fees for each chosen nominee.
- Convention housing and food for each chosen nominee and accompanying parent/guardian. Travel reimbursement allowance (including air) up to $500 for each chosen nominee and up to $500 for their accompanying parent/guardian.
- A one-year Junior Membership in OrigamiUSA.
- Scholarship nominations are now closed.
We are thrilled that we can offer young, enthusiastic folders this opportunity. Let us know if you have any questions. If you have further questions, please feel free to email scholarships [at] origamiusa.org.