In 2017, the OrigamiUSA Board of Directors approved a fund to pilot a scholarship program for young origami enthusiasts to attend PCOC 2017 in Redondo Beach, CA. After a very successful experience, we continued the scholarship program, funding two more young people to attend the Annual Convention 2018 at St. John’s University. Subsequently, with funds raised from generous members, scholarships were given in 2019 for both Annual Convention and PCOC, and the program is fully funded through 2021.
Our scholarship winners have inspired everyone they have met. In 2020 we will fund 2 scholarships for young folders for the Annual Convention, June 26–29 at St. John’s University in Queens, New York. Please consider nominating someone you know! Anyone can nominate him/herself. If you are a young, passionate folder who would like to attend convention, nominate yourself! A nominee should be a young person (18 or under in 2020) who shows great promise as a folder and who would benefit from developing his/her skills and ideas by attending an origami convention. The nominee does not have to be a creator/designer. We value involvement in the origami community. Our main focus is your passion and potential.
Nominations for 2020 open on February 15, 2020. The deadline for nominations to be received is March 27, 2020 (6 pm Eastern)
- A nominee must be 18 years old or under in 2020.
- A nominee can reside anywhere in the world. If a chosen nominee resides outside the United States, the recipient/family is responsible for passports and any required visas.
- The online nomination form must be completed and submitted by March 27, 2020 (6 pm Eastern).
- The nomination must be approved by an adult Parent/Guardian by sending an email to scholarships [at] origamiusa.org by March 27, 2020 (6 pm Eastern).
The scholarship benefits for each chosen nominee and a parent/guardian include:
- Convention fees for each chosen nominee.
- Convention housing and food for each chosen nominee and accompanying parent/guardian.
- Travel reimbursement allowance (including air) up to $500 for each chosen nominee and up to $500 for their accompanying parent/guardian.
- A one-year Junior Membership in OrigamiUSA.
- You must be signed into a website account in order to make a nomination. Please login to your account or if you do not have one, please register for one.