In 2017, the OrigamiUSA Board of Directors approved a fund to pilot a scholarship program for young origami enthusiasts to attend the Pacific Coast Origami Convention (PCOC) 2017 in Redondo Beach, CA. After a very successful experience, we continued the scholarship program, funding two more young people to attend the Annual Convention 2018 at St. John’s University. Subsequently, with funds raised from generous members, scholarships were given in 2019 for both Annual Convention and PCOC.
We are pausing our scholarship application process and will not be awarding any new scholarships in 2022.
We awarded 3 scholarships in 2020 for the Annual Convention and 5 scholarships in 2021 (3 for the Annual Convention in New York and 2 for PCOC). Since none of these 8 young people have had a chance to attend an in-person convention, we are planning to host most of these students this year at the Annual Convention in New York in June 2022. Because we want these awardees to have the best and most special experience, the Scholarship Committee has decided not to award more scholarships at this time.
Please check back in early 2023 for application information for scholarships for both the Annual Convention in New York in June 2023 and PCOC in the Fall of 2023. Please direct any questions to scholarships [at] origamiusa.org
A nominee should be a young person who shows great promise as a folder and who would benefit from developing their skills and ideas by attending an origami convention. The nominee does not have to be a creator/designer. We value involvement in the origami community. Our main focus is their passion and potential.
- The nominee must be 18 years old or younger on December 31, 2021.
- The nominee can reside anywhere in the world. If a chosen nominee resides outside the United States, the recipient/family is responsible for passports and any required visas.
- The online nomination form must be completed and submitted by March 31, 2021 (6 pm Eastern).
- The nomination must be approved by an adult Parent/Guardian by sending an email to scholarships [at] origamiusa.org by the stated deadline.
The scholarship benefits for each chosen nominee and a parent/guardian include:
- Convention fees for each chosen nominee.
- Convention housing and food for each chosen nominee and accompanying parent/guardian. Travel reimbursement allowance (including air) up to $500 for each chosen nominee and up to $500 for their accompanying parent/guardian.
- A one-year Junior Membership in OrigamiUSA.
- Scholarship nominations are now closed.
We are thrilled that we can offer young, enthusiastic folders this opportunity. Let us know if you have any questions. If you have further questions, please feel free to email scholarships [at] origamiusa.org.