You are here
OrigamiUSA publishes articles and diagrams in several venues: our annual convention book, The Origami Collection, our online magazine, The Fold, our print magazine, The Paper, and the free diagrams page of the website. This page tells you how to submit an article or diagrams to one of these publications.
Submitting Your Work
Please log in to submit an article or diagrams. (Why?) Your account will allow you to manage your submissions (e.g. change permissions, add/delete submissions, etc.)
If you already have a website account, you can sign in here. If you haven’t created one yet, you can register a new web account here. After you’ve signed in, come back to this page (refresh it if you've kept it open) and you’ll see the online submission link.
If you cannot submit your material online, you can mail hard copies to:
15 West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024 USA
All submissions sent by mail must include a signed copy of the permission form available here for download:
Important: the link above is only for submission to our own publications. If you wish to submit a file for sale in The Origami Source, please read the guidelines for sellers and follow the instructions therein.
For The Paper there is no fixed deadline; submissions are accepted on an ongoing basis.
For The Origami Collection submissions are accepted throughout the year.
For the website diagrams page, submissions are accepted throughout the year.
- The Paper: for diagrams, PDF format is preferred, but we can handle most popular file formats. If you are sending an image file (e.g., a jpg), please make sure it is at a high resolution: 1275x1650 pixels, or equivalently, 8.5x11 in at 150 dpi or higher. If the print quality is bad at your end, we will not be able to improve the resolution at our end.
- The Fold: We can accommodate a wide range of formats. Please contact the editor who will be preparing your article. If you don't know who the right editor is, please contact the Managing Director at thefold [at] origamiusa.org.
- The Origami Collection: Please see our guidelines for submissions formatting.
- The website diagrams page: All submitted diagrams should be step-by-step vector artwork instructions (not photo diagrams) in PDF format. Text should be in English. Please look at the existing diagrams before submitting. If you would like to submit material for some other part of the website, please contact the website team at website [at] origamiusa.org and tell us what you're considering before submitting.
Copyright and Compensation
Since origami compositions are works of art protected by copyright (the folded work, the diagrams, and crease patterns), it is necessary for us to obtain permission for all usage. Further details on copyright may be found here.
If we publish your work, you will receive a complimentary copy of the publication it is used in (for The Paper and The Origami Collection) or two months free membership (for The Fold).
Questions and Contacts
Further information about submissions may be found in our Frequently Asked Questions about Submissions. If after reading that, you still have questions, please send your email to the publication you're interested in. You can contact the individual publications at the following:
- The Origami Collection: publications [at] origamiusa.org
- The Paper: thepaper [at] origamiusa.org
- The Fold: thefold [at] origamiusa.org
- The OrigamiUSA Website: website [at] origamiusa.org