Special Folding Fun Sessions are origami classes held at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City. Each year, OrigamiUSA holds a Spring and a Fall Special Sessions series, each series consisting of three one-day sessions. Each session offers both morning and afternoon classes. There are usually three to five classes to choose from in each class period.
For each single-day session, you can pick one class in the morning and one in the afternoon, selecting first and second choices for each class period. While there are no guarantees, most registrants get their first choice. Classes are available at the simple, intermediate and complex levels.
Class levels are dependent on folding ability. If you are new to folding, please consider taking one of our Family Fun classes, designed for beginners.
Location and Times
Classes are held at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City in the School Lunchrooms.
- Morning classes are from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm. Please arrive by 10:1 5am.
- Afternoon classes are from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm. Please arrive by 2:15 pm.
These are formal classes and latecomers are discouraged because origami is a sequential activity, not a drop-in activity, and the teacher may not be able to catch you up. Please be prepared to stay for the full two-hour class.
- For Family Fun (beginner) classes you must be at least 5 years old. Children between 5 and 8 must have a parent or guardian register and take the class with them.
- For all other classes you must be 8 or older. Children between 8 and 13 must have a guardian or parent available in the School Lunchroom area where the classes are held.
PricesPrices for OrigamiUSA members and AMNH Members are $20 per class or $35 for two classes taken on the same day. For non-members, prices are $35 per class, no discounts. Why not join OrigamiUSA?
Special Folding Fun Sessions are fund-raising events for OrigamiUSA. All classes are taught by highly skilled origami teachers, who volunteer their time.
Got further questions? Ask the Special Sessions team at sessions [at] origamiusa.org.
The next classes will be held on the following dates:
- Not yet set.
Note: the March classes have been cancelled due to the coronavirus. April and May classes are still expected to take place.
You may register by phone at 212-769-5635 or online.
- Registration is closed. Watch the home page for announcements of the next session.
- Class pages for the next Special Folding Fun Sessions are not yet available.