We are looking for a new Origami By Children (OBC) Committee Chair to lead a group of 3-5 volunteers to take responsibility for all aspects of the program.
The goal of the OBC team is to create a traveling exhibition of origami models folded by children. This begins with accepting models (sent by snail mail) from children all over the world. The models need to be organized, logged into a spreadsheet, and reviewed in a judging process. Winning models need to be photographed and then packed and shipped to the Home-Office in NYC, where they will be available for display at the Annual Convention and then travel to other parts of the country.
Details about OBC including photos of prior year collections are available here:
We need the new OBC Chair to recruit near-by origami friends who can help with the work since it is too much for one person. Since OBC models are received via snail mail, there needs to be a group to do the organizing and collaborating in person (not online). Doing this with a team is a rewarding experience and a “labor of love”. It is wonderful to see the enthusiasm and talent of young folders everywhere. This is also a great opportunity for origami friends to work together as Co-Chairs.
- Leadership (for the Chair or Co-chairs).
- Digital photography of origami models.
- Artistic eye and origami knowledge (for the judging of models).
- Spreadsheet and Mail/Merge skills.
- Ability to create tent cards with children’s photos and model information.
Note: Different team members may each have different skill sets to add to the team.
Time Line and Effort:
- January 31 is the deadline date for OBC models to be postmarked (most models arrive between Jan. 15 – Feb. 15).
- Feb. 15 - 28 – Judging (approx. 5-6 hours during a single day in this timeframe).
- March 15 - Provide spreadsheets with winners/non-winners to the Home-Office & Notification of winners/non-winners via email.
- March 15 - March 31 – Print letters & certificates and snail mail with participation prizes (origami paper).
- March 31 - April 15 – Make tent cards to be displayed with models.
- April 15 - May 15 – Create packing lists for each box of models (there are usually two boxes) and pack them to be shipped to the home office.
Expenses such as postage and supplies are covered by OrigamiUSA.
We are looking for someone to take over this role as soon as possible for the 2021 OBC. However, if you are concerned about getting together in person to do this work, please apply anyway and let us know that you can start in 2022.