Set sail for the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan and the city of Chicago! Get ready for a weekend of origami fun at the Chicago OrigamiUSA Convention (COcon) 2022, October 28–30, 2022. Make Chicago your kind of folding town! Please send any questions about COcon to cocon [at] origamiusa.org.
We will be at the newly-renovated DoubleTree by Hilton Magnificent Mile, a great location just a few blocks from Michigan Avenue, aka Mag Mile, and surrounded by restaurants and shopping.
- Two full days of classes from beginner to complex on Saturday and Sunday.
- Registration is limited to the first 150 folders! There will be a wait list once we are full.
- There is a discount for OrigamiUSA members, but membership is not required.
- A "No-frills" convention: no bags, no T-shirt, no convention book.
- BYOS (Bring Your Own Stuff).
- We will provide a Welcome Kit with one package of kami paper.
- No special guest folders (everyone is a special guest!)
- Enjoy the company of fellow folders in a banquet-hall-sized community folding room.
- All-night folding Friday and Saturday in the community room.
- Special origami exhibit (free to the public Sat/Sun 9:00 am–5:00 pm).
Detailed information about all COcon 2022 activities, registration, teaching, etc., is listed in the COcon 2022 menu at the upper right. Every item (both boldface and unbolded) is a link to a page with further information.
- August 15, 1:00 pm EDT — Registration opens.
- August 15, 1:00 pm–October 3, 1:00 pm EDT — Registration for teaching classes.
- October 3, 1:00 pm EDT — Deadline for refund with cancellation.
- October 23, 1:00 pm EDT — CVD and Dinner no longer available.
- October 25, 1:00 pm EDT — Class schedule posted.
- October 28, 7:00 pm CDT — COcon begins!
We have a COcon Value package that includes 2 days of classes, Saturday buffet dinner, and a welcome kit for a bargain of $180! More details on the registration page.
The convention will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Magnificent Mile with a fantastic low room rate of $155/night.
Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is not required, although full vaccination and boosting are of course highly recommended.
Via air or land, here's how to get to Chicago.
For an hourly breakdown visit the Hours page.
Friday, October 28
Friday night begins with check-in at 7:00 pm, Exhibition setup, and community folding and socializing.
Saturday, October 29
Saturday is the first day of classes. Check-in begins at 8:30 am; classes run from 10:00am–5:00pm. Saturday night is a buffet dinner. Exhibition will be open all day long, with community folding into the night.
Sunday, October 30
Sunday is the second day of classes. Check-in begins at 8:30 am; classes run from 10:00am–5:00pm. Exhibition will be open until 5:00 pm; the community folding room will be open until 11:45 pm.