Set sail for the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan and the city of Chicago! Get ready for a weekend of origami fun at the Chicago OrigamiUSA Convention (COcon) 2022, October 28–30, 2022. Make Chicago your kind of folding town! Please send any questions about COcon to cocon [at] origamiusa.org.
We will be at the newly-renovated DoubleTree by Hilton Magnificent Mile, a great location just a few blocks from Michigan Avenue, aka Mag Mile, and surrounded by restaurants and shopping.
- Two full days of classes from beginner to complex on Saturday and Sunday.
- Registration is limited to the first 150 folders! There will be a wait list once we are full.
- There is a discount for OrigamiUSA members, but membership is not required.
- A "No-frills" convention: no bags, no T-shirt, no convention book.
- BYOS (Bring Your Own Stuff).
- We will provide a Welcome Kit with one package of kami paper.
- No special guest folders (everyone is a special guest!)
- Enjoy the company of fellow folders in a banquet-hall-sized community folding room.
- All-night folding Friday and Saturday in the community room.
- Special origami exhibit (free to the public Sat/Sun 9:00 am–5:00 pm).
Detailed information about all COcon 2022 activities, registration, teaching, etc., is listed in the COcon 2022 menu at the upper right. Every item (both boldface and unbolded) is a link to a page with further information.
- August 15, 1:00 pm EDT — Registration opens.
- August 15, 1:00 pm–October 17, 1:00 pm EDT — Registration for teaching classes (deadline extended to 10/17).
- October 3, 1:00 pm EDT — Deadline for refund with cancellation.
- October 23, 1:00 pm EDT — CVD and Dinner no longer available.
- October 25, 1:00 pm EDT — Class schedule posted.
- October 28, 7:00 pm CDT — COcon begins!
We have a COcon Value package that includes 2 days of classes, Saturday buffet dinner, and a welcome kit for a bargain of $180! More details on the registration page.
The convention will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Magnificent Mile with a fantastic low room rate of $155/night.
- Hotel registration for COcon 2022 is now closed.
Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is not required, although full vaccination and boosting are of course highly recommended.
Via air or land, here's how to get to Chicago.
We hope to have Paper Circle as a vendor. If you would like to sell items at COcon, please register as a vendor.
For an hourly breakdown visit the Hours page.
Friday, October 28
Friday night begins with check-in at 7:00 pm, Exhibition setup, and community folding and socializing.
Saturday, October 29
Saturday is the first day of classes. Check-in begins at 8:30 am; classes run from 10:00am–5:00pm. Saturday night is a buffet dinner. Exhibition will be open all day long, with community folding into the night.
Sunday, October 30
Sunday is the second day of classes. Check-in begins at 8:30 am; classes run from 10:00am–5:00pm. Exhibition will be open until 5:00 pm; the community folding room will be open until 11:45 pm.