You are here
The OrigamiUSA Annual Convention for 2012 will be held at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City, June 22–25, 2012.
- Download our Origami Exhibition Flyer here [pdf].
- Update: View the cover and contents of the 2012 Origami Collection!
The complete convention experience includes:
- Survival Kit with tote bag full of origami paper and other goodies
- OrigamiUSA 2012 Origami Collection (book of diagrams)
- OrigamiUSA 2012 T-shirt
- Friday Open House
- Saturday & Sunday classes
- Sunday evening Oversize Folding Event
- Monday classes and presentations
- Monday night dinner
Our special guests will be:
- Sipho Mabona from Switzerland. Sipho Mabona was five years old when he folded his first paper airplane. In 2000 after having folded planes for 15 years he ran out of paper airplane designs to fold and turned to origami hoping it would enable him to come up with original designs. Sipho has designed origami for the award winning Asics corporate movie "Origami in the Pursuit of Perfection," and since he has exhibited his work in galleries and museums across the globe. Furthermore he has been the invited guest at Japan Origami Academic Society (JOAS) Convention, the German, French, Spanish as well as the Swiss Origami Conventions. Sipho's known for his origami stop motion movies and lately has been focusing on conceptual large-space fine art installations. He currently resides in Luzern, Switzerland. For more information, take a look at his website at http://www.mabonaorigami.com.
- Dennis Walker from Scotland. Dennis Walker started folding at the age of ten when a neighbor gave him her son's unused copy of Origami 2 by Robert Harbin rather than throw it out. He joined the British Origami Society a few years later in 1986 and has been a member ever since. In 2011, Dennis became the editor of the BOS magazine. He is also known as the man behind the the Origami Database. This started life as a personal model database that he created during a period of unemployment. With some assistance this went onto the Internet and slowly became the Origami Database we know today. He has grand plans for the Database, if he can find some time. He lives in Scotland, not far from Edinburgh, and works as a software engineer writing and maintaining a training simulator for Air Traffic Controllers. For more information, take a look at his website at http://www.prospero78.freeserve.co.uk.
We're very excited that Sipho and Dennis will be joining us this year. Watch this space in the coming weeks for more information!