Convention 2008 has begun! Online registration is now closed. The 2008 OrigamiUSA Annual Convention will be held June 27-30, 2008 at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City, located on 27th St. between 7th and 8th Avenues in Manhattan.
Our two special guests will be Max Hulmefrom England and Nicolas Terryfrom France.
In addition, this year will be the 50th anniversary of the founding of The Origami Center of America by Lillian Oppenheimer, so we will be celebrating "50 Years of Origami in America," and we are planning several exciting features to honor this milestone.
Once again, by arrangement with FIT, we can offer reasonably priced accommodations directly across the street from the convention.
Coming from out of town or overseas? Read our special tip sheet for Out-of-Town Attendees .
Some members have organized special activities to coincide with breaks in the convention. Read about these Member-Organized Activities . We'll be adding more entries as Convention nears, so check back regularly!
Once again, we are offering an Online Model Preview . Teachers, feel free to upload pictures of what you're going to teach; attendees, take a look at what others will be teaching!
Also once again, the Exhibition will be open to the public on Saturday and Sunday from 10:30-4:30. For admission information download the exhibition announcement , and send it to all your friends!
Wondering about how hard is "High Intermediate"? How to behave in a class? These documents give some helpful information:
The class schedule is now available! Find out what some of the offerings are and start planning your day:
Restaurants and Shopping.Your convention package will include lists of New York stores for paper and supplies, coupons for special, OrigamiUSA-only discounts at some of them, and lists and maps of local restaurants. But if you'd like to start planning your shopping and meals now, download them here and print them out!
- Paper Shopping Possibilities [pdf]
- Discount Coupons [pdf]
- List of Local Restaurants [pdf]
- Map of Local Restaurants [pdf]
We are pleased to announce that all British and French convention attendees will get a $50 discount in honor of our special guests, payable in a store credit once they arrive.
Teachers, whether you sign up online or via mail, please return your forms by May 25 so that we can compile a teaching schedule, and so that you will be eligible for priority ticketing!
Please include your phone numbers and email address in case we need to reach you.
For the quickest and most secure registration, please use our online registration system in the following links.
- Your membership in OrigamiUSA must be valid through June 30, 2008, in order to attend. If your membership has expired (or is about to), Join, Renew or Upgrade your OrigamiUSA membership.
- If you are attending as a folder, complete the Attendee Registration Form.
- If you are attending as a non-folder or guardian, complete the Non-Folder Registration Form.
- If you want to teach models on Saturday or Sunday, complete the Saturday/Sunday Teaching Form.
- If you want to teach techniques on Monday, complete the Monday Teaching Form.
- If you want to exhibit your work, please complete the Exhibition Form.
- If you can't attend but would like to receive the goodies (including the 2008 Origami Collection), complete the Sorry Kit Form. You can download, print out and send it in from here , or in a few weeks we hope to have an online version.
- If you would like to stay in the (inexpensive!) FIT housing (described here ), complete the Housing Form.
- If you are attending as a non-folder or guardian, and/or would like to volunteer, complete the Volunteering Form.
- If you would like to sell any goods, you must download, fill out, and mail or fax our Vendor Form (there is no online version).
Downloadable Registration Forms
If you would rather print out and mail your registration forms, you can download them here. Send them to the Home Office, OrigamiUSA Convention 2008, 15 W. 77th St., New York, NY, 10024-5192.
- Attendee Registration
- Non-Folder Registration
- Membership Renewal
- Teaching Sat, Sun, or Mon
- Sorry Kit
- Vendor Registration
Return your completed registration forms, 'tear-off' sheets, vendor forms,or 'Sorry, I Can't Attend' forms to OrigamiUSA, 15 West 77 Street, New York,NY 10024-5192. Please include a self-addressed, stamped, business-size envelope for your convention confirmation.
Return your completed housing forms to Martha Winslow-Cole, 5222 Duck Springs Road, Attalla, AL 35954. Please include a self-addressed, stamped, business-size envelope if you want a written housing confirmation, or your email address if you would prefer an electronic confirmation.
Questions, Suggestions or Problems
If your questions pertain to housing, please see the information included on the housing form or the linked page above. Otherwise, here are your options:
Write to the convention coordinators at OrigamiUSA, 15 West 77 Street, New York, NY 10024-5192. Make sure you include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and your day and evening telephone numbers. If you have an email address, include that, too.
Fax the convention coordinators at (212) 769-5668. Make sure you include your name, address and telephone/fax/email numbers.
Email us using our contact form .
Call the Home-Office at (212) 769-5635. If Rachel Langley, our Administrator, can't help you, she'll pass your message on to the convention coordinators.
We look forward to seeing you at Origami Convention '08!
Convention Committee 2008: Jan Polish, Tony Cheng, Jean Baden-Gillette, Wendy Zeichner