It’s that time! We’re putting out the call for diagram submissions for PCOC 2023. The deadline is Wednesday, May 31, 2023 EDT. Each author can submit up to a maximum of three submissions for potential publication in the PCOC 2023 diagram book. All contributors of accepted diagrams will receive a free PDF copy of the diagram book
Theme for the PCOC 2023 Diagram Collection
Playful & Practical
This time we want to focus on Playful & Practical models (and articles, stories!) that move, maybe talk, or take on useful shapes. Please keep in mind: we prefer unpublished (or minimally/locally published) submissions.
Here are a few words to help kickstart your creative ponderings:
Articles and Stories! If you have an interesting article connected to our theme that is talking about origami and/or the designing process, we would like to consider it for publication as well. Let’s mix it up!
Find at least one person who will try to fold the model following your diagram before you submit it. Listen to what they have to say and correct the mistakes. It will make our work go much smoother and faster.
Your diagram should include the name of the model, author, diagrammer, and photographer (if you use photos).
Send us a single print-ready PDF file (300 dpi) with embedded fonts.
- Embed fonts when generating the PDF.
- If embedding doesn’t work correctly, convert all fonts to outlines prior to generating the PDF.
- Letter format (11 x 8.5 in) with margins: top 0.5 in; bottom, left, and right: 0.625 in.
- Don’t put anything outside of the page margins.
- The only exception is if you want to have a snake going to the edge of the page. In that case, you need to use a bleed area (0.125 in). Please make sure that the snake reaches its border. Also, you have to save a file as a PDF with a bleed, otherwise, it will be lost.
- The book will be printed in black & white. Your diagram can be done in colors though, we will do the conversion ourselves.
- If you use more colors, make sure they look different enough when printed in B&W.
- Preferably use a white background and black color for texts.
- Use conventional styles and symbols for your diagram.
- Don’t use a line thinner than 0.25 pt as it may be lost during print.
We prepared templates for you in Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer, and Inkscape. They have the correct page size, with margins and bleed region set. It’s not necessary to use them if you follow our guidelines.
How to Submit
Fill out the submission form below, which will include the file upload. You can submit up to three works by the same author by submitting the form for each work.
You will be required to submit your bio in the form. It will need to be a single paragraph, 750 characters or less). You only need to include the bio with one of your submissions.
Please keep in mind the deadline is Wednesday, May 31, 2023 EDT. Consider submitting sooner in case we have some follow-up questions.
We will review all submissions and notify everyone of accepted items for publication by June 30, 2023.
Thank you in advance for considering submitting a diagram for PCOC 2023. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns by emailing pcoc-diagrambook [at] origamiusa.org.
Your PCOC diagram book submissions:
- Submissions for the PCOC 2023 diagram book are now closed.