New York is served by three major airports, run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey: LaGuardia, John F. Kennedy International and Newark Liberty International. LaGuardia and Kennedy are closest to St. John's. The taxi fare from LaGuardia to the campus might be somewhat lower than from JFK (probably under $25).
General information on getting to and from the airports is here. Specific information on each airport, including terminal maps and other details are:
Long-distance, interstate travel by train is served by Amtrak; all Amtrak trains arrive in New York at Pennsylvania Station (abbreviated "Penn Station" by locals; and with station code "NYP" within Amtrak).
If you're coming from the surrounding areas, you have several other choices:
- Long Island Railroad, serving Long Island, NY, and terminating at Penn Station in Manhattan
- Metro-North Railroad, directly serving stations East of the Hudson River out of Grand Central Station in Manhattan, and West of the Hudson via connections to New Jersey Transit's Hoboken station.
- New Jersey Transit, serving stations in New Jersey, with service terminating in Hoboken, New Jersey, and in New York's Penn Station
Note that if you are traveling from Newark Airport to Manhattan on New Jersey Transit, you will go through Newark Penn Station on the way to New York Penn Station. Don't be confused by the two Penn Stations. (New York Penn Station is the end of the line, which is helpful.)
There are a huge number of bus lines running to/from New York, too numerous to list here. Most bus lines use the Port Authority Bus Terminal located between Eighth and Ninth Avenues from 40th to 42nd Street.
Public Transportation to St. John's
Public transportation options are available from airports and major train and bus terminals to St. John's:
- JFK: Take the Air Train to Jamaica and transfer to the Q30 or Q31 bus.
- Newark: Take the Air Train to Penn Station in Manhattan and transfer to the E-train.
- Penn Station in Manhattan: Transfer to the E-train.
- Grand Central: Transfer to the #6 train, which will take you to the E-train.
- Port Authority: Transfer to the E-train.
There is more detailed information on the E-train and buses under "Getting to St. John's" here.