What are Artist Trading Cards (ATC)? Historically they've been handmade sets of cards created by a group of artists who trade their cards amongst themselves, ending up with new sets of cards comprised of one card from each artist. Originally these cards did not involve origami until MaryAnn Scheblein-Dawson and Jean Baden Gillette introduced "origami" ATCs to the OrigamiUSA convention in 2006.
The size requirement for ATCs is that they are 2.5 x 3.5 inches (64 x 89mm), the size of baseball trading cards. Origami ATC’s have the added requirement of having origami on or as part of the card. In addition they should be able to fit in a trading card plastic sleeve, to protect the artwork, which limits the overall thickness.
- Anyone who is serious about making ATCs may participate in this ATC Swap. But you must register (see below) no later than Monday, June 3, 2019. You will receive an email confirmation within 48 hours.
- Mail-in participation is limited to the Continental U.S. If international ATC creators want to participate, they should coordinate on their own with a 2019 convention attendee to receive and return their ATCs. Domestic participants who are not attending convention and mail in their ATCs will have their returns mailed to them.
- There is no official design theme for the swap. You have creative control!
- An official set consists of 18 cards, one set per person please!
- Your set must be received no later than Friday, June 14, 2019
- One card of the set of 18 cards will be kept for the official collection and the exhibition. It will be replaced with an official ATC Swap title card.
- We will meet at the convention to receive traded sets, meet each other and talk techniques and inspiration.
- The group swap location will be announced by email and at the convention and we will meet on Saturday, June 22, 12:15 pm
- Unofficial and private swapping of ATCs is encouraged, whether it's extras from this swap or other cards you have or with last minute artists who didn’t get their cards in by the deadline.
- Cards for this ATC Swap will be on display at the OrigamiUSA convention exhibition.
- To register, email Jean Baden-Gillette at PaperBerry [at] aol.com
- Please include your name, email address, and mobile phone if you will be attending in person. If you have designated a proxy at convention to receive your cards please provide the proxy’s mobile phone number as well.
- The deadline for registration is Monday, June 3, 2019. .
- If you are registered but for any reason need to cancel your participation, please contact Jean Baden-Gillette as soon as possible.
Cards: Making, Sending, Receiving
- Official sets consist of 18 cards: 2.5 x 3.5 inches or 64 x 89 mm. You are strongly encouraged to make extras for private swaps.
- There is no official theme other than origami. Be creative in your use of origami.
- Your ATCs must include origami or be an origami folded card.
- Please include on the back of the card a label with this info:
- Name of the artist
- Location of the artist (City,State)
- Title of the card
- Email address
- Edition number of card, e.g., 1/18, 2/18, 3/18 etc.
- Date: June 2019
- Optional: To respect the creativity of origami creators, you may want to include the creator’s name
- Event: ATC Swap @ OrigamiUSA Convention 2019
- Please protect each card with a plastic card sleeve.
- Please package your participating set in a sealable plastic bag with your name and contact information on it.
- Cards must be received no later than Friday, June 14, 2019. Please respect this deadline. Jean Baden-Gillette will be leaving for NY shortly thereafter and may not get them if the deadline is missed.
- Mail your ATC set (ideally in a padded envelope) to:
6478 W Roxbury Drive
Littleton, CO 80128
- If you have designated an ATC proxy at the convention to be responsible for your cards, please include the proxy’s name, email address and mobile phone number. This will help ensure you get your set of traded cards.
- If you want your cards mailed to you, please include $4.50 to cover the cost of a padded envelope and postage. Mailed cards may not be returned until after July 4 when Jean returns home.
- Registration– by Monday, June 3, 2019
- Mailed set received– by Friday, June 14, 2019
- Swap Meet up– Saturday, June 22, 12:15–1:00 pm, Marillac, Room 330 (MAR 330)
PaperBerry [at] aol.com
Prior to June 15: 720-410-2912
After June 15: 347-572-5503