June 24–27, New York, NY USA
The OrigamiUSA Annual Convention returns to Manhattan as an in-person event, held at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel.
Join your fellow folders with special guests Beth Johnson, Quentin Trollip, Jeremy Shafer, Michael LaFosse, and Richard Alexander!
Highlights: What to Expect
- Three full days of classes from beginner to super complex.
- Live classes with special guests plus many pre-recorded online classes.
- Classes include model folding, lectures and techniques.
- World-class origami exhibits.
- Sales of books and paper.
- Silent auction (rare finds and more).
- Meet and fold with well-known and aspiring origami designers.
The conference will be held at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, located at 811 7th Ave New York, NY 10019. The price will be $203/night per room, so $102/night for a shared room. Make your reservation now for our special room block.
Rooms can be cancelled without penalty up until 72 hours (3 days) prior to 6:00 pm EST of the check-in day, so there is no downside to reserving early. The OrigamiUSA rate is available from June 21, 2022 to July 1, 2022, for those who wish to explore the city before or after the convention.
On Monday night we'll hold a "We Survived!" dinner at a nearby restaurant.
Other meals are not included, but there are many local restaurants to choose from.
Detailed information about all Convention 2022 activities, registration, teaching, etc., is listed in the Convention 2022 menu at the upper right. Every item (both boldface and unbolded) is a link to a page with further information.
- May 2, 1:00 pm EDT — Registration opens
- May 2, 1:00 pm–June 4, 12:00 am EDT — Registration to teach
- June 6, 1:00 pm EDT — Preliminary class schedule posted
- June 10, 1:00 pm EDT — Final class schedule posted
- June 10, 1:00 pm–June 15, 1:00 pm EDT — Request classes
- June 15, 5:00 pm EDT — Class assignments posted
- June 24, 2:00 pm EDT — Convention begins
Friday, June 24
Registration and check-in. Opening ceremonies begin at 2:00 pm EDT. Enjoy dinner at one of the many local restaurants near the hotel.
Saturday, June 25–Monday, June 27
- Three full days of classes from 10:00 am–5:00 pm EDT.
- Sunday evening we will have an oversized folding competition with 9-foot paper!
As everyone knows, COVID-19 has thrown event planning into disarray worldwide and as new variants arise and/or guidelines for masking and/or vaccination are updated, there is always a chance for surprises. The Convention planning team is aware of the uncertainties and will strive to accommodate for updates. In any event, though, all attendees should plan on the following:
- All attendees will be required to provide proof of vaccination by uploading a copy of their vaccination card prior to attending.
- All attendees registering on-site must bring a copy of their vaccination card with them to show when they register.
- Proof of vaccination will be required for access to any part of Convention, including areas visitable by the public like The Source and the exhibition.
- The required vaccination level (which must be shown on your vaccination card) is:
- For those 12 years old and older:
- Both Moderna or Pfizer shots, plus at least one booster shot, OR
- The Johnson & Johnson shot, plus at least one booster shot.
- For those under 12 years old:
- Both Moderna or Pfizer shots OR
- The Johnson & Johnson shot.
- For those 12 years old and older:
- Masks are recommended (but not required) at Convention.
Further details on COVID precautions will be posted on the website prior to the opening of registration.
"Sorry I Can't Attend"
If you can't attend in-person, there are still two ways you can participate in Convention 2022:
- Order the recordings of the prerecorded classes from the Registration page.
If you have questions about any aspect of Convention 2022, contact us at convention-info [at] origamiusa.org.